How long should you cook a porterhouse steak?
For the perfect medium-rare porterhouse steak, grill for 10-13 minutes for a 1-inch steak, and 14-17 minutes for a 1½ inch steak, turning about 1 minute before the halfway point. A meat thermometer should read 130°F. Rest your steaks for 5 minutes before serving, covering lightly with foil.
How do you cook a porterhouse steak on a gas grill?
- Prepare a clean, well-oiled charcoal or gas grill so that the coals or heat element are medium-hot.
- Brush both sides of the steak with oil and season liberally with salt and pepper.
- Grill the steak, covered and turning once, until cooked to the desired doneness.
Is it better to cook steak in the oven or on the stove?
As opposed to finishing the steaks on the stove top, transferring them to the oven stops the searing at the ideal point, allowing the interior of the steak to continue cooking without burning the exterior. Depending on the thickness of your steaks, they should take no more than 7 minutes for medium-rare doneness.
How do I cook a 2 inch thick porterhouse steak?
- Let the steak rest at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the broiler. Heat a cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat until very hot.
- Season the steak heavily with salt and pepper on all sides.
- Broil to desired doneness, about 4 minutes for medium rare, 5 to 6 minutes for medium.
What temperature do you bake a porterhouse steak?
Preheat oven to 450 F. Season steak with salt and pepper. In an ovenproof (preferably cast-iron) skillet, sear steak over high heat for 2 minutes a side. Pop into the oven and roast for 12 to 20 minutes, turning once depending on how rare you want it and how thick it is.
Should you oil steak before seasoning?
Oil the meat, not the pan This ensures a nice, even coating, helps the seasoning stick to the steak and means you won’t have a pan of hot oil spitting in your face. Heating extra-virgin olive oil spoils the taste of both the oil and whatever you ‘re cooking in it, so just use ordinary olive oil.
How do you tenderize a porterhouse steak?
Simple Ways To Tenderize Steak
- Marinade & Scoring. This is an easy way to tenderize a tough steak.
- Meat Tenderizers. This is a well-known practice that is quite popular.
- Acid Tenderizing. Letting meat sit in concentrated lemon juice and/or vinegar can soften meat and produce a more tender steak due to the acidic effects.
- Find Meat with Marbling.
How long do you grill a 2 inch porterhouse steak?
Cooking Instructions (Grilling) Thick Porterhouse Steak
|Porterhouse Steak||Rare||Well Done|
|1/ 2 Inch Steak||2 minutes||5-6 minutes|
|3/4 Inch Steak||2 -3 minutes||6-7 minutes|
|Temperature||125-130 degrees||160-170 degrees|
How do I cook a porterhouse medium rare?
Cook a 2cm-thick piece of steak for 2-3 minutes each side for rare, 4 minutes each side for medium, and 5-6 minutes each side for well-done. Turn the steak only once, otherwise it will dry out. Always use tongs to handle steak as they won’t pierce the meat, allowing the juices to escape.
What’s the difference between a porterhouse and a T-Bone?
Remember, the difference between a T – bone and Porterhouse is size, specifically on the tenderloin side. The steak on the left is one our T – Bones. The steak on the right is a Porterhouse. You can see the Porterhouse has a significantly larger portion of filet meat.
Can you cook steak on a baking sheet?
Season steaks with salt and pepper, to taste, and add to the baking sheet in a single layer. Place into oven and broil until the steak is browned and charred at the edges, about 4-5 minutes per side for medium-rare, or until desired doneness.
How do you cook the perfect steak indoors?
The 4-3-2 Method
- Preheat a heavy skillet for a long time over high heat. Don’t add any oil.
- Add the steak, press flat, and cook for 4 minutes without moving.
- Flip and cook for 3 more minutes.
- Remove from the pan and rest for 2 minutes before serving.